As I have said, the apple spice cake is my favorite. Apples were created to be spiced. In our cozy little corner of hell the following recipe is the current favorite. It is my belief that this tasty recipe is delicious with just a dusting of powdered sugar, but you may add frosting if you desire. I am still right, but I will let you have your simple alteration. This cake serves 12-16 people or one hungry cake eating demon.
- 2 tbsp butter
- 4 medium size tart apples
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 12 tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cloves
- 1 cup buttermilk
- Peel and core the apples. Cut into roughly 1/2 in cubes.
- Melt the 2 tbsp butter in skillet. Saute apples until golden brown, stirring as needed.
- Add 2 tbsp sugar to apples. Cook until evenly covered and nicely glazed. Allow apples to cool to room temperature.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Grease and flour two 9in round pans.
- In a bowl, mix butter and sugar until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time. Next add vanilla. Scrape batter off sides of bowl as needed.
- In a separate bowl, sift together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves).
- Mix together wet and dry ingredients in two additions. Mix in buttermilk. Fold in apples.
- Pour batter into pans. Bake for 30 min (oven times will vary) or until toothpick inserted in the center of pan comes out clean.
- Let cake sit in pan for 10 min before moving to cooling rack. Dust with powdered sugar.
- Eat and enjoy.